Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Somebody Want to Dig my Garden?

It is by far my least favourite job of all time.  I hate digging the vegetable patch over in the spring.  It is the worst job of all time. 
This area is covered and weighted down with ground cover during the non-growing part of the year.  It is the last job in the autumn.  I save and fold the ground cover and stack it in a corner of the greenhouse during the growing season.
There are some anaemic weeds left and some hardy crab grass that just won't die.  It just sits there mocking me.  I know I must dig it over, but I don't want to.

All the dock weeds with their long tap roots are gone.  The veg patch is carefully edged but not quite dug completely over yet.  I start to dig, get a few forkfuls flipped over and then I find something else that needs to be done.

I HAVE to get it dug over in the next week.  It will be planting time and there must be a place for the plants to go.  I have onion sets ready to go out.  I have garden peas soaking so that they will be ready to pop in the soil.   Bean plants will be ready to go out in a few weeks.   So I had better pull my finger out.  No excuses!

This is the soft fruit patch on the east side of the house.  It is all scraped of weeds and covered over with the same sort of ground cover.  We have taken the decision to leave this ground cover where it is permanently.

There is no reason for the ground cover to come up.   It prevents NETTLES!  We seem to get a lot of stinging nettles over there.  This is a great way to inhibit them without the use of chemicals. 
In closing I would like to present the rhubarb in bloom.  It is spectacular!  I hope that the fact that it is in bloom doesn't mean the crown of rhubarb will die.



1 comment:

Shammickite said...

If I was nearby I would come and help you dig the garden. I really need to get back to the soil and I NEED SOME EXERCISE AFTER BEING LOCKED UP FOR SO LONG!