Wednesday, April 01, 2020

Anxiety Gardening

Every day the death toll grows.  Spain and Italy still have shocking numbers of people dying.  We in the UK are only a few weeks behind them and are bracing for the worst.  The numbers in the US look to be the worst of all.  Someone in the village has it.  Thankfully this person is recovering. 

The Man of the Place has to go to work.  It is an essential job.  He could probably do it from home but the local government's infrastructure can't handle the bandwidth.   He tries, his connections get too glitchy and then he has to pack up and go back into the office.

I am left fuming.  Later on I realise that my anger is based on fear.  Fear that he'll get Covid-19 and bring it home to me.  I will blame the local government for not protecting him better, for not having better bandwidth so he could have actually worked at home and blame him for not being more careful about what he touches and washing his hands.

With anxiety the best thing for me to do is . . . anything!  If I stay busy then my little brain doesn't stew on things.  I can save the worries for later when I'm trying to sleep.

Today after he left for Mordor, I got dressed, ate muesli and went outside to do stuff.

The poly tunnel cleaning was finished today.   I washed all that green off.  The job would have been a bit more pleasant in the warm sunshine but we didn't have that.  We had okay weather, very little wind and not too cold.

I dragged the garden hose over and started spraying.  I scrubbed with a soft broom and the algae came right off.

I was going to say that there wasn't much to wash, but there was over half left to do.   The entire north side and back door were pretty solidly green.  They're not green NOW!

After that was done and the hoses put away, I sorted out some strawberry plants.

When the strawberry bed was thinned out, there were loads of perfectly good strawberry plants left.  I replanted the most promising plants. 
 

I put a notice on the village hall Facebook page offering strawberry plants to anybody that wants them.  A handful of people wanted free, organic strawberry plants.

We only live a short distance from the hall so I can leave them there. I labelled them up and took them down.  I sent everybody a message so they knew the plants could be collected. We never need to meet and compromise anybody's isolation.
Doing things for others helps me to feel a bit better.

Having tackled a pretty large job, I have to think about which large jobs I want to tackle next.   The tool shed?  The attic?

1 comment:

Shammickite said...

Well done with transplanting all the baby strawberry plants, if I lived nearby I would definitely pick some up. Yes, the death toll is getting larger. Sadly I heard that a cousin passed away last week due to Covid-19, I don't know any details, and possibly no funeral arrangements right now. So sad. Canada's totals are rising, and just this week 13 people in a retirement home have died.... and probably more to come. I am staying at home as much as I can.