Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Things are Sprouting

Spring is marching forward at its usual pace.

I find that the fact that I am out of my nightgown by 10 am a triumph! I was up much earler and was out in my robe and slippers to check on things. 

The rhubarb is spectacular this year. It has a great big bud on it.  I don't ever remember a rhubarb blooming.  I'm sure they do. . . but this is new and must be investigated.

The peonies that I love so dearly are doing even better this year.  I am hoping that they grow from strength to strength.

I adore peonies they remind me of happy times in the Midwest.    Yes, I will be going out to weed (carefully) these flower beds.

The soft fruit section of the garden is tucked away on the east side of the house.  The soil around the base of each fruit bush has been scraped.  I swear this year I am going to put the ground cover down before the weeds can pop back up!

One of the best homemade ice cream flavours EVER is blackcurrant.  I adore it so much that I planted loads of blackcurrant bushes.   They are now about four years old.  This means that at the end of the season, I will be removing one third of the large branches.  Every year going forward I will be removing another third.


2 comments:

Shammickite said...

I have tried 3 times to grow some rhubarb but I really don't have a suitable place to plant it and the soil is very poor, lots of construction debris and stones. So I raid my neighbours garden at rhubarb season, he has so much he could feed an army!

Peggy said...

This was not my first attempt at rhubarb. I just stuck half a crown in that I got from somebody and it took.