Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Fruit Cage preparation

A few years ago new soft fruit bushes were planted. We organised a place on the east side of the house where we keep things like ladders, bird seed bins and where the compost pile used to be.

It's a decent sized area.  We have black currants, gooseberries and blueberries.  The rhubarb crown is there too but it doesn't need any protection.  It can handle anything.

This year should see everything come into high production!  In anticipation of this, I am laying the groundwork now.

I cover the fruit with a makeshift cage made out of garden canes and net.   It works just fine.   It keeps the birds away from the berries but it does nothing to prevent weeds popping up.

Last year we had a pretty good crop but every time we went to pick berries we were either eaten up by midges or stung by the nettles.  I don't really mind a nettle sting.  It's unpleasant but . . you know. . .ouch! 
The ground was scraped of all weeds earlier and this morning, I dragged out the leftover pieces of ground cover and laid them down.  I weighted the ground cover down with rocks.   I am pleased that this is another job done. 

I will put the nets up in a few weeks.  The bushes aren't in bloom yet so we need the birds to continue to eat any bugs that may be there now.





No comments: