Thursday, April 16, 2020

Weeds!

There is a curse that nobody tells you about when you find yourself in possession of a house with really great topsoil.   Everything grows spectacularly well . . . even the weeds.

You can fool yourself into thinking that you will be on top of the weeds at this time of year.  The weeds are marginally easier to get out of the ground and growth really hasn't kicked into high gear yet.   I can get bits cleared of weeds and lie to myself about how the rest of the year will be.  I can imagine that with almost no further effort on my part, the vegetable beds and flower borders around my place will be a pristine and weed free oasis.

Any plant or flower can be a weed.  By definition a weed is a plant growing where you (the gardener) don't want it to grow.   Grass is encouraged  to grow but only in the area designated as "lawn".  If grass is in the driveway, it is an unsightly weed.
wild strawberries in the gravel
Strawberries are encouraged to grow in the strawberry bed.  Wild strawberries showed up in our gravel a few years ago.  I was so delighted that I left them there.   They are taking advantage and spread too much. The older wild strawberry plants have died and the novelty has worn off.  It is time for the wild strawberries to go.  I want my gravel back.
yellow nettle root
Stinging nettles are easy to manage now but wear gloves.   They are young but still sting. If you're careful you can get a lot of them out of your herbaceous border.  The roots of  the stinging nettle are a marvellous turmeric yellow.  If you are digging around in the border and see bright yellow roots they probably lead to wrinkly, fuzzy and stinging leaves.  Get it out of there!  These plants grow like bamboo when the weather warms up.

One of the worst weeds in the vegetable garden is bind weed.  I hate it!  Really the only way I have found to eradicate it in the past was using glyphosate.  As I am trying to have an organic garden, the use of that stuff is not okay and is linked to cancer.  I have been digging bind weed up.  The only way to get rid of it is to keep digging.  I have been going into the poly tunnel every day and removing emerging shoots.  I know what the shoots look like and I pounce on them immediately.
It is so pleasurable when you get an enormous root up and it hasn't broken.  This particular weed is insidious as every millimetre of  root left in the soil is a new plant! 
See!  there is a solitary inch of root that was left in the soil and it started growing a new leaf and a new root system!  If you have bind weed, you will never get it all in the first weeding session.  You have to wait a few weeks and go back and get the next batch when  the new leaves have started popping up.  It may take a year of constant vigilance to get your patch free of bind weed.
bind weed regrowing from a bit of root
This stuff doesn't sting and the roots aren't as horrid as bind weed BUT the roots do make a real dense matt under the soil.
mystery weed
I don't know what it is yet.  I will have to do some investigating.  We have plenty of it and I wish we didn't.   Thankfully it is easy to get up.
There is nothing more pleasurable when digging up a weed with a long tap root and getting the entire thing.  Weeds with taproots will regrow.  Not right away but they will come back eventually.

Comfrey is particularly tough to get rid of once the root has established.  We planted one crown of it years ago.  The bees LOVE comfrey flower and the area behind the chicken run is all but given over to comfrey.  The air is always filled with the happy buzz of hundreds of bees over there. The leaves of the comfrey plant can be harvested and rotted down with water in a big bucket and used as a brilliant organic fertiliser.
Comfrey by the chicken run
I like comfrey but if a clump shows up somewhere else, it is officially a weed and I have to dig to get rid of it!  This clump is in the stone wall in front of the house.  I tried to get it out two years ago.  I failed.  Not only did I not get it all out, I didn't do anything about it last year.  So now I have to try to get this stuff out of the wall without having to tear the wall apart, remove the weed and then rebuild the wall.



2 comments:

Shammickite said...

The battle against the weeds is a never ending conflict! I admire your tenacity, And I admire the fact that you are going organic, using none of those chemicals that work so well!
My son just moved to a country property and they are starting a veg garden, and digging up many years of dead weeds in some neglected raised beds. Lots of digging to do.
I was intrigued by your comment on my blog about artist Hugh Lifson so I emailed Aaron Saltzman to ask.... yep, very cheeky! He replied that it's not Lifson, and he doesn't know the name of the artist. His wife bought it more than ten years ago and can't recall the name.

Joared said...

So many weeds -- some with which I am unfamiliar. Nettles I know only too well and the unpleasantness their sting brings. Dandelions are an issue in yards grass in my neighborhood though I guess some places value them. Your soil does appear to be very rich unlike ours here which has a strong component of clay. Hope your weeding goes well.