Sunday, September 17, 2006

Tynemouth Priory

While The Man of the Place and our little one were at the footie, I nipped up north of Newcastle to Tynemouth. I had to drop my diving regulator off at the dive shop and get some beeswax for Henry's dry suit zip. That took about 10 minutes and then I had some time to kill. I had been planning to walk Polly along the shore but it was too foggy.

This is the High Street in Tynemouth. You can see it was a foggy day. The dive shop is on the left side of the street, half way up. On the way to our walk to the sea we met Jake who was going our way. He was a very friendly fellow carrying his favourite toy. His owners would throw the toy down the embankment of the castle's earth fortifications and Jake would run after it and then bring it back up. Good way to exercise the dog without breaking a sweat!
Imagine that while you are walking up to this old Priory on a cliff overlooking the North Sea, the fog horn is going off at very regular intervals. It made it very atmospheric.

These are the earthworks in front of the Priory.











This is the beautiful Tynemouth Priory in the fog.

The North Sea from the cliff.


What the wind will do if it blows against a stone wall for hundreds of years.


With all this glorious fog and ancient ruins, I was compelled to pay the entrance fee and go in.

I knew there was a huge cemetery just on the other side and I knew it was going to look fabulous in this thick fog.

Time and wind have carried away most of the decoration, but left their own.

This must have been a beautiful part of the Priory.

Most of the large headstones are from the Victorian age. The wind has rendered some of the headstones illegible. I remember being here years ago and there were some tombstones with holes in them, I couldn't find those.


There were some that were from the1700's but they were difficult to photograph.


You can still make out some of the words on this tombstone. The names William and Joseph are still legible.

It is a beautiful place to spend all of eternity and a wonderful place to walk your dog on a foggy September Saturday afternoon.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love those picutres. It's so beautiful. Thanks for posting those.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photos. I want to go back to Scotland one day, and see for myself.

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous place Peggy. Your photos are exceptional...crisp and clear. The colors in the stones...beautiful. I really love the cemetary and the headstones... What an amazing place. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh my...this is just lovely. What a feeling of timelessness. We have nothing that old here. Maybe a few tress...

Thanks for taking me on your walk...

gawilli said...

I have read about places like this, closed my eyes, and imagined how beautiful they would be. Pictures cannot compare to what you must experience living there. But I sure am glad you shared them.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Peggy for the photos. Indeed it is so beautiful and it looks so quaint as well as quiet.

Peggy said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words. It is a beautiful part of the world and doesn't get a whole lot of publicity. If you have to be in fog, that's the place to be in it!

Anonymous said...

I am just green with envy! Tynemouth is just THE place I had in mind when I planned our trip to Yorkshire. But we got sidetracked (so many beautiful and interesting things to see!) so I'll have to go back.
Absolutely great photos!h