Thursday, September 07, 2006

No Hurry

I had an errand to run at about 4 pm today. I had picked up a couple bags of sugar for my friend Helen when I was in town. When I got back from my day, I popped around to drop the sugar off. Helen's baby is now about 10 days old and she's still not up to going out for things, so I've been offering to pick up the odd item for her. It's no bother really, I'm in town and going to be in the supermarket anyway.

Between my house and Helens, there are a couple of dairy farms. I managed to get past the first one without incident, but when I got to the second dairy farm, I ended up waiting a bit. They were taking the cows in for milking. Geoff, husband of Pauline of Cream Teas fame was moving the cows. He didn't recognise my car and closed the gate to stop the stream of cows so I could get past. Wasn't that nice of him? He didn't have to do that. I was perfectly happy to wait for the herd to cross the road. As I drove on by him, I rolled down the window, waved and thanked him for holding up the herd for me. When Geoff recognised me, he smiled and waved back. I love living here.
Not only do I not mind waiting for cows and sheep to move along the road, I enjoy it. For sheep, I'll roll down the window and listen to them baa all around the car. If I'm stuck in a sheep related hold up, I've been known to phone my city-bound friends. After telling them that the road I'm on is blocked, I'll stick the phone out of the car window so they can here my "traffic". If there are cows on the road, the window stays up. Cows are nosy and they'll stick their big wet noses in the car. It's bad enough that they slobber on the car as they walk on past. I don't want it in the car as well.

4 comments:

T said...

LOL I love those sheep and cow moments. I always wind the window down for the sheep too.

We were up on the Horseshoe Pass in North Wales once and we had five sheep just about in the front of the car with us as they tried to steal my cheese sandwich. They stink, but they are so pretty! Sheep are cool!

Anonymous said...

My mom had a horse who was famous for eating cars. We used to let the horses out in the lane sometimes and when people came over they would unknowingly park their car in the driveway and acquire bite marks on their hood. Mostly it was farmers with old trucks who thought it was funny but one time it was the meter-reader from the electric company with a shiny new ford who threw a fit at us. I think that might have been the last time we let the horses out in the lane.

-J-Funk

Xtreme English said...

Peggy told me about...hmmm...15 years ago that she did not want to live more than 5 minutes away from COWS. So the next thing I knew, she had married an Englishman, hauled herself and her boys to the UK, and was happily parked in a little town in Wiltshire. First day I got there, we took a walk, and not even 5 minutes away, there was this cowshed with a herd of those lovely Highland cattle with long horns and long red hair. Now she lives so close to freakin cows that she can open her door some mornings and see half a dozen of the neighbor's bovines standing there eating veggies out of her garden. That's powerful dreaming.

Peggy said...

It's not that I'm a nut about cows, its just that if I'm no more than 5 minutes from them, that means I'm not in town. I did't want to live in town anymore.