Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mid-September and all is well.

There was a small window of opportunity yesterday to get the grass in the back garden cut. It does look a whole lot better out there. Naturally the window has closed. It is raining again.

I've washed and put away the cat dish. Any reminder just makes George sad. He's slowly getting over it and has mentioned getting a new cat. Perhaps in the spring . . .

It has been hinted that we will have some fine weather on the weekend. If this is the case, the lawn in the front garden could really do with another cut. Now that the days are getting shorter up here in the north, the growth rate of the grass has slowed waaaay down.

If we do get some nice weather, I will try to get the vegetable plot cleared a bit. The area where the peas, cabbages and sweet peas grew can be dug over and covered. If I am truthful, the corn stalks can come out and I can lift that one potato plant that has carried over from last year or even from the year before. It's a pink fir apple potato. Oddly shaped and bumpy potatoes that are at their best cold in potato salads. Pink fir apple potatoes are "waxy" potatoes rather than the floury variety.

I also need to trim the spurs on the rooster's feet and give the chickens some fresh bedding. I like to make sure they have nice fresh bedding as the cold, wet weather rolls in. The hens were ever so slow with eggs this year. I really do miss Old Meany's eggs. Don't say anything to the chickens, but they could be getting replaced very soon with better laying stock.

Lots of stuff to do in the garden. I just need to get out there and get it done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you mentioned Old Meany because for what ever reason I just love chickens. I am a city person so I can't really have any for pets but I do love them. Don't have a clue as to why I like chickens so much but that is okay.

Feel free to share any chicken stories as time permits. Maybe I should try to write a chicken story book.

Anonymous said...

I used to think I wanted to be a vegetarian and then I met some chickens. They are so dumb it's hard to feel guilty about eating them. Now I just go for the free-range organic variety.

gawilli said...

What do you do with the corn stalks? We are not in an area here to grow corn. In the fall we buy some from the farmstand and put them around the fence posts in front of the house. The squirrels love them, and I like having a bit of the country.

Kell said...

When we had to put our dog to sleep, I cleaned out her bowls before we took her to the vet. I just couldn't come home and see them there. Of course, instead, I stared where they were supposed to be. It's just never easy.

BTW, Jay said I should choose Other for Blogger Beta (is this Beta) but it seems to work ok to use my Blogger name. But just in case, this is Kell!

Joe said...

It's always hard losing a good pet.

Chickens, though - they're quite tasty when they go.