Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Blogger-beta - The Story So Far

Well now. I made the conversion to Blogger-beta. Here is what I have discovered so far:

When I first made the switch, I could continue to comment on other blogs using my old Blogger account. Now, I can't, I have to use my new Blogger-beta account and it won't let me make comments on blogs that are still in original Blogger (non-beta) format. They say that this is only temporary. After a couple of days, not being able to make comments on some blogs is v. annoying. Never mind. They say they're on it. This may also make it difficult for other bloggers to leave me comments. You can always go anonymous. I don't mind. I sure hope that Blogger sorts this comment problem out soon.

On the plus side, formatting is a great deal easier. The drag and drop stuff they have going on there is very cool and very very easy to do. It is also extremely easy to organize links and blog rolls without messing with html codes. HTML codes frighten and intimidate me as I have never taken a single class on them. (Ronnie - I have the HTML for Dummies book here at the house.) Blogger-beta will even put your blog list in alphabetical order for you. These are the best features so far.

Choosing a new style is simple to select too. You can also try different styles on to see if you like them before selecting a new colour scheme for your blog. You do have to be careful when changing your template, you'll lose any or all of the badges you've put on your blog. e.g. blogburst, flickr, sitemeter etc. . . I can't get my old Flick-r badge back just yet. I'm working on that one though. I don't know if it is my lack of formatting knowledge or a glitch in the formatting programme.

Uploading photos is much quicker and uploading your blog entries after you hit the "publish" button is also a lot faster. Faster for me in this instance means better.

The thing that freaked me out initially was, yesterday I noticed that visits to my site had plummeted to about six per day! I was really enjoyed watching the increased traffic over the past couple of months only to see it all taken away from me. I didn't notice that my little site-meter badge needed to be re-installed. I've reinstalled it now and normal traffic has resumed.

In closing, I would like to know who my lurking reader or readers are in Germany. You visit every day but you have never revealed yourself.

8 comments:

Xtreme English said...

wot scares me off the beta is that it says (I think) you cannot switch back. so congratulations for your adventuresome spirit. hope they get all the kinks worked out soon .

Anonymous said...

I had never even heard of blogger beta. Now I'm all tech-savvy. I will use the phrase "blogger beta" at least three times tomorrow so that I can appear smarter to my co-workers.

I hope your German blog fan shows their face. I've discovered however that the Site-Meter is sometimes off-base - I thought for a long time that I had a fan in Denver CO and then realized with great disappointment one day that it was in fact ME, being mis-tracked by Site Meter.

PS did I ever email you back? My old email address is still working.

- Josie

Peggy said...

Mom- if you don't allow anonymous comments, I'll not be ablt to comment on your blog for a while. :-(

J-Funk - No, you didn't write back, but I had forgotten. I show up in Sitemeter as being in Lambeth, London down in England (where the server is based)

Saz- No, you can't go back. I was under the impression that in the fullness of time, we were all going to have to make the change. I thought I'd get it done while I had some time.

Anonymous said...

I defected from blogger some time ago. It was driving me nuts! I hope the new beta version works out well for you. If not, I'm very pleased with Wordpress and you can move everything you have now over.

Xtreme English said...

I didn't KNOW I didn't allow anonymous comments! How did that start, I wonder? Will clear that up if possible......

Xtreme English said...

done...you should be able to comment anonymously now.....

Anonymous said...

God ... I can't switch back to the normal version :((

And the lame part is that Windows writer beta doesnt work with Blogger Beta !!

Why...oh why did I have to switch my good old version :((

Peggy said...

Rita,

Courage! You'll get the hang of it. There is a learning curve and the comments part of things will be messed up, but you'll find a way around it.