Saturday, September 16, 2006

Auntie Phyllis

Since Henry's mother passed away a few years ago, I have all but ceased going with them to Sunderland every other Saturday. I would visit Vicky, Henry's mum and they would go to the game. I'd pick them up after the game, and we'd drive home.

Today, there was a visit to be made before the game and I decided to go along.

Henry's Auntie Phyllis is 92 and is as bright as a button. She's slowed down a bit now. She gave up smoking only recently because she couldn't get to the shops anymore.

Phyllis was married to Henry's father's brother, Will. We've made arrangements to get over to see her again very soon. She's so much fun!

Sorry about the picture quality. Auntie Phyllis was sitting on the sofa with the big picture window behind it. I wasn't going to ask her to move, so we just have to deal with the photo being back lit.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

She gave up smoking only recently because she couldn't get to the shops anymore
I like that. I expected the end of the sentence to say something like 'according to doctor's order' or 'because she had emphyzema', but no! She just couldn't get to the shops ;)

Anonymous said...

My Grandmother is 87 and it's always fun to go visit her. She still gets around though. She drives to the post office every day and she drives to get her hair done. I hope I'm as active when I'm 87.

gawilli said...

Boy, I bet she can tell some great stories. Just think of all that she has seen in 92 years!

Peggy said...

Claude- I think that is a funny reason to give up too. She's such a kind person that she didn't want to ask anybody to pick up her cigarettes. They are a vice in her mind.

Peggy said...

Jay, she has some sad stories too. Her father was killed in France during WWI when Phyllis was only 6 weeks old. Her father did get to see her before he died though. It was going back to the front from leave that her father's troup was ambushed.