Saturday, September 09, 2006

Dust & Noise Management

They are bringing in what will probably be the last silage cut of the season. It's a glorious early autumn day and perfect for getting outside jobs done. The tractors and the silage machine are making a bit of noise, especially when the go right in front of the house. To be fair, they waited until a descent hour of the morning before they made a start.

Sorry it's not such a great photo. The sun was in my face and I couldn't get above the hedge enough for the camera to stop focusing on it rather than the tractors. I just wanted to show you the tractors over by the south eastern corner of the place.

Note to self: Call to get gardener guy in to cut the hedges.

I'd cut the hedges myself but I 'm too short and weak in the arm to deal with our petrol driven hedge clipper. If you think I'm being a big baby about it, try this. Hold a petrol powered hedge trimmer in your hands. Holding the machine at shoulder height extend your arm fully. Now hold it there for a couple of hours, on top of a ladder. I can't do it.



The other noisy thing is the big circular Stihl saw that The Man of the Place is using to slice through concrete this morning. More details here.


This is also creating more dust than I though could exist.
It reminds me of one of my favourite lines in A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle; "Drink your coffee before it gets dirty."
I've got TWO sheets taped up to the doorway to try to stem the dust, but it's coming in anyway. I've shut as many doors as I can. We just have to wait for the dust to settle and start to tackle it.
Just to add salt to the wound, my cleaner Jill is away for a week's holiday on the Island of Arran.

No comments: