Thursday, May 14, 2020

Gardens Have More Enemies! *edited*

I am in a seriously foul mood this morning.  Gardens are always under attack!

Two nights this week we have heavy frost warnings.  Even with frost warnings, it is still very dry and seeds that have been planted are really slow to germinate.

Going into the poly-tunnel this morning I noticed that there were some green strawberries that have fallen off the plant. My first thought was, perhaps the strawberry plants are so dry that the berries are falling off.

Moving the lawnmower  I was confronted with this!  A green strawberry midden has been started under the lawnmower.  Rats!  They're eating the strawberry crop!
It looks like a large percentage of this year's crop!  Damn it!

Two rat traps have been baited (no poison) and set carefully in the strawberry bed.   The poly-tunnel is blocked so that Fen can't get in and get his nose nipped.

In addition to the rat damage, there is evidence of a large black Labrador digging deep holes in the vegetable patch.      Some of the sweet peas have been destroyed and a few carrot seeds have been sent flying.

I can water the garden, set rat traps but I can't protect the vegetable patch from marauding pets.

I would really like the garden gods to cut me a bit of slack!
_______________

Not rats.  It is mice. Lots of mice.  I've managed to trap three so far.  Setting traps each night until the damage stops.

2 comments:

Joe said...

Dang! Good luck with the vermin.

Peggy said...

In four days I have trapped eight mice.