Friday, November 18, 2011

Good Value

Diving equipment can be expensive.  We try to cut corners where we can.  Some things like a new drysuit which can run to over £1000.  We won't spend that much, but it is easily done.  We will buy second hand diving equipment from eBay when we can  I have been pleased with almost everything we've had from those auctions.

A number of years ago, I needed a new dive watch.  The one that I had died just before we were due to go on a dive trip. Water got in the watch - and salt water and watch works just don't make good companions.  It was just after a battery change - done at a jewelers that reported to test the security of the seals if they change the battery of a dive watch - that my watch had died.  

We were going on a trip very soon and I needed a watch that I could take with me under the sea.  Just out of curiosity, I looked in the catalogue of the local supermarket.  They had a Lorus Sport Watch, rated to 100 meters for about £12 pounds.  Whoo hoo!  Even if it only lasts a short time, it is a better price than the near £300 that the dive shop is asking for a watch of a similar rating.

It was near Christmas, so I bought one for me and one for The Man of the Place.    This is a photo of the very watches I bought .  Mine is on the left - with a dead battery.  When the battery died, I was given the loan of the one on the right, his watch.   The loaner watch misted up with condensation a few weeks ago and in the wee hours of this morning, died.  

I'll get another battery for mine but I'm afraid that the other watch is dead.  I can't complain too much.  We've had very good service out of those watches for not a lot of money.  I am now  watchless until I can find time to get a new battery for my watch.  My left hand feels weird and there is a white bar across the wrist.  I feel adrift without a watch.  I may look at new watches - as serviceable as those watches are, they are NOT very feminine.

No comments: