Wednesday, December 02, 2020

Happy Birthday Mom

 Today is my mother's 84th birthday.  Happy birthday Mom!

I have a lovely memory of spending her 70th birthday with her in Paris. 

You can read about that super fun birthday here.

I'm glad that we have this memory to look back on.  

I'm afraid that my mother's memories have not stayed with her.



This is a screenshot from my home computer.

It shows four of the seven Facebook profiles I have for my mother.  We should have booked her in for a CT scan when this started happening.  My mother would forget her log-in information.  Instead of figuring it out or asking for help, she would just start over.

Although my mother has not been known for being reasonable, this tendency started to become much more pronounced in the last few years. When does natural grumpiness turn into an actual symptom?

The aging process is unkind when we get near the end of our lives.  Brain health is vital.  Conditions like high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation can put us at greater risk of stroke.  Even when we think we have these things under control we can have a "silent stroke" and TIA, transient ischaemic attack and the dreaded Alzheimer's disease.  These things can rob a body of it's abilities and our brain of it's faculties.

2 comments:

Joared said...

Too bad your Mom’s memory no longer allows her to enjoy what she stored there — a birthday wish meaningful mostly to you now. I still think of my mother’s and other’s BDs on their days though they’re gone.

Shammickite said...

I am sending your mother very happy birthday wishes. I hope that she will enjoy the day. After all, a birthday is very special no matter what number is being commemorated!