Monday, November 02, 2020

As Time Goes By

When I first started blogging, I started following a blog entitled As Time Goes By by Ronni Bennet.  A former television producer who had been looking for a forum that was honest about what happens to the human body, how society acts and reacts to people as we age.   She couldn't find a reliable and honest (non-commercial?) account of actual aging.  I am speaking of her in the past tense because a few days ago, she left her body.  I am glad that she is now at rest.  She already had the peace. It is a comfort to know that she was not fearful when she crossed over.  One of her final messages was: "When you get here, it is really nice. I am not afraid."  Rest easy Ronni. You will be missed.

Everybody experiences aging.  Leading a healthy life is merely slowing down the rate at which we age.  It can sometimes prolong death.  Don't kid yourself, a healthy life doesn't make you immortal but regular exercise IS important. 

Ronni had a list of elderbloggers.  I love that list of blogs.  Colourful and fascinating people who are immensely valuable in a short-sighted world where youth and modernity are worshipped.  As I was only in my 40s when I started my own blog, I was considered too young to be included in that list.   When I turned 50 I requested inclusion to the list of elderbloggers.  I was finally old enough to be included in the group.  I was on the list for a short time.  I was removed when my blog entries slowed and all but stopped.  

A number of people who followed my blog back when I was more active have died over those years.  Fascinating bloggers who had amazing lives.  I miss their input and perspective on things.  I am so glad they are not here to see what is happening in this terrible year but I sure could do with their opinion. The political world is chaos and it is not helped by a global pandemic.  These two topics dominate the headlines.  

I am now thinking back to all the friends I have made through this blog. As in life you make friends through connecting with people.  Some bloggers became very good friends. I am also pondering the changes in my life, changes to my family and body that have occurred over the last 14 years.  The blog has a delightful archive that can be revisited.  It is a great big journal with pictures and comments.  My theme is roughly and very loosely based on my garden but I write about a lot of topics.

This is a list of things that have happened and come to understand

  • My father died
  • My mother has dementia and in a care home
  • I have fewer teeth
  • My feet won't work well without constant support
  • I discovered how vital it is to have integrity 
  • A number of friends have died
  • Gray hair has showed up
  • Your life can change in a moment
  • I love my family 
  • I find joy in nature
I am going to start touching on the aging process as it pertains to my life.

4 comments:

Joared said...

Ronni will be missed. Lots happens though our aging process but increasing losses of all kinds are predominant.

Peggy said...

Hi Joared
Yes there are losses but there are few gains. The gains are sometimes intangible, but there are things to look forward to. :-) Perhaps I will touch on those later.

dkzody said...

It appears you are about 10 years younger than i. Glad you found and enjoyed Ronni's blog and hopefully, you too, can share your long walk to old age. More of us need to share what it's like.

Shammickite said...

I remember Ronni's writings and I know she will be missed. A wonderful lady.