Tuesday, June 02, 2020

Covid-19 Lockdown begins 23 March 2020

As our place is out in the countryside there are aspects of life here that hasn't changed.

At the time I write this, the UK have done terribly with controlling the virus with over 38,000 deaths. The US is worse with over 100,000 deaths.   With infection rates are decreasing in the UK but not enough to say the problem has been managed.  Because the lock down restrictions started on the 23rd of March we have been under lock-down for seven weeks.  We should have started earlier and had a framework in place to help manage this.  The UK government has been acting like a deer caught in the headlights.  . . . but I'm not going to rant just now.  There are plenty of other places you can go to read about the shambolic government approach.

I will write about how it has affected me.  It has frightened me.  How do you prepare for this?

I didn't need to rush out and overstock on toilet paper.  We have always kept a rolling three month supply here.  What I did was rush out and get chicken feed and dog food.  If we're going to be restricted to the house, I will not let the animals suffer. 

When I was in town for probably the last time in months, I managed to get a 25 kilo bag of potatoes.  I came home with the car loaded with provisions.  I felt like all those conversations we had about the zombie apocalypse.

So we're in the house.  We're all stocked up.  We can last for ages . . then on Monday my husband goes off to work!  I'm going nuts!  This is not safe!  He can do 98% of his work on a computer!  They can arrange for him to do this at home!  This is the man who has trouble shutting the silverware drawer in the kitchen and leave the lid off the butter.  He's not going to remember to wash his hands and stay two meters apart from people.   He also works with people of varying degrees of intelligence.  They're going and sit on the corner of his desk while he's working just to chat.

No comments: