Thursday, April 13, 2006

Crackle Birds

I mentioned in a previous posting about my site meter that I can tell what the Google, MSN and blog searches were that leads an inquiring person to this blog. I also mentioned that I had somebody searching for "crackle birds" and got me.

I have never heard of crackle birds. Perhaps the searcher meant Grackle. There are grackles in North America. They're little black birds with iridescent feathers that shine purple in the sun. There is the Common Grackle, Boat-tailed Grackle and the Great-tailed Grackle. Below is a picture of a Grackle.

I was curious to know if there actually was a crackle bird so I did a Google search myself. Guess what was second on the list? Me. Me and my blog about the site meter. I don't know how the original person crackle bird searcher got me though.

Incidentally, since my first posting about all of this, I have had three more people come to my blog in search of crackle birds and one poor guy from Texas searching with "woodpeckers destroying my house".

Is this is all getting a bit too self-referential?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

crackles are birds similar to that above, but they are definately shaped differently. they live in texas, and less so in other midwestern states.

Anonymous said...

Hi, there is a lot of grackles here in South Florida. I kind of thing they are anoying birs for the kind of noice theymake. However, back to my point, today a baby grackle fell from a tree in my back yard. I knew it was a grackle from looking at it at first, but it was confirmed by the mother lokking for it. What should I do?

Peggy said...

You could try to put it back in the nest. If you can't do that you can either leave it and let nature take its course. Sometimes parents will continue to feed a chick that has fallen out of the nest. The last option is that you could try raising it yourself.

Unknown said...

I was trying to find Crackle , the bird . My father often referred to them . Actually the bird he was talking about is Starling . Now at 70 I'll have to relearn this . Thank you for this blog it was helpful .

Martyn (not a bird)