Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Raptor (and Election) Day

Today when I woke up and looked out the back window, there was a beautiful kestrel hovering just on the other side of the back fence. It looked like it was going to dive a couple of times but then thought better of it. The bird didn't fly off after I opened the door let the dog out. I guess it knew our dumb mutt was no threat.
Later in the day as I was driving north on the M47 toward Lanarkshire it seemed that somebody had placed a buzzard on a fence at ten mile intervals all the way up and down the motorway. They're beautiful hawks. I just can't get enough of 'em.
Now it's dark and is owl time. I can hear them hooting in the trees and pipping as they hunt in the fields. Sometimes a barn owl will grace our garden with its beauty.
I like that where we live is healthy enough to support all the lovely small birds of prey.
Now I'm going to go and watch the election results until I can't stay awake anymore.

No comments: