Saturday, February 11, 2017

Failed Hatch

On Thurdsay, the 9th, the chick were due to hatch.  The day came and went . . . and nothing happened.  I thought perhaps I had miscounted, they hatch at the END of the 21st day . . .so I waited.  Friday came and went.  Nothing.  I put my head to the incubator and listened for peeps or any noise and was greeted with silence.

So today, Saturday I took the eggs out of the incubator.  I cracked open a few shells to see what had happened.  There were partially formed chicks in 10 of the eggs.  Rats!

I am struggling to figure out what went wrong.  I think . . . the temperature of the incubator was too high.  I'm going to see if I can-recalibrate it and start again.

I had everything ready too; box, warming lamp (with spare bulb), chick feeder, waterer and a 25 kilo bag of chick crumb.

I'll see if I can reset the temperature and start again.

4 comments:

joared said...

Oh, so sorry to hear your eggs didn't hatch -- would be most disappointing. Maybe a couple Mother hens would be better to sit on them.

Peggy said...

I have used broody hens in the past with great success, but I don't have access to any. I have four hybrid layers who will never be broody. There are restrictions on the movement of domestic poultry in the UK just at the moment. Which means that I can't buy a broody hen. This is why I am using an incubator.

Shammickite said...

Sorry to hear the news about the chicks, I was so looking forward to seeing photos of fluffy babies!

Kevin said...

Adware | What Is Adware? | Virus Remover And Adware Removal Tool this post will give all the necessary information on what an adware is and how can one remove any kind of adware from the computer. Well also Trojan | What Is Trojan | Virus Remover And Trojan Removal Tool this post will let the user know what a trojan basically is and how can one remove a trojan virus easily from his/her computer. Now coming to the browser hijacker post, Browser Hijacker | Browser Hack | Browser Hijacker Removal Tool will let the reader know about all the basic knowledge on browser hijacker and ways to remove it.