Sunday, August 03, 2008

I Do This More Often Than Most People

I stub my toes.

I have been stubbing my toes my entire life. It happens when I am barefooted, naturally. It is not that I am without shoes and socks a great deal of the time, it is just that . . . well I can't seem to navigate my feet as well as other people.

I have broken the middle toe on my right foot a couple of times. Yesterday evening while making up the bed in the guest bedroom, I stubbed the middle toe of my left foot. I think it's broken.

At first I though perhaps it was just bruised. I didn't even look at the toe very carefully when I went to bed. In the wee hours of the morning I was woken up by a pain from the stubbed toe. That wasn't a good sign. Toes shouldn't wake people up, even when they've been given a good knock. I got up, found the first aid kit, put some cotton between the stubbed toe and the next non-stubbed toe (see photo above) and went back to bed.

The only thing one can do for a broken toe is to tape it to the next one and try not to stub it again until it is healed up. So that is what I'm doing.

I was walking around today with my tennis shoes on and that wasn't really a problem. My toe ached a bit and if I did something silly like take a giant step to pick to some especially lovely wild raspberries, my toe protested.

It is the end of a long day and the shoes are off. I am conscious that this toe is aching, swollen and not happy. I'm keeping an eye on the colour. I'll go to the doctor if anything further or really odd happens but for now, I just have to tough it out.

See? Good colours, huh? This photo was taken this morning as I hobbled about looking for the surgical tape that I put away somewhere in the house.

No comments: