Monday, September 24, 2007

Doughnuts on the Brain

Sometimes if you've got an itch, the only way it will go away is to give it a good scratch.
There really was no other way I was going to exorcise the doughnut craving from my system. I was going to have to make doughnuts. Either that drive to the South of England where Krispy Kreme seem to have been taken up. I'd like to take this opportunity to thank my old pal Joe for taunting me with Des Moines doughnuts.

George woke us up in the early hours of the morning with a thumping headache and a very runny nose. I got him some cold and headache medicine and tucked him back into his bed with a damp folded face cloth across his forehead. It is the start of the back to school cold. I guess that Henry and I can look forward to this cold shortly.

George didn't go to school today and stayed at home, wrapped up in his duvet. When I phoned him at lunchtime he said he was fine but felt a bit shivery. That was my cue to turn the car around and make my way back down towards the house. Things were slow up in Ayrshire anyway. All the clinics were shut for Glasgow September Weekend (the reason the ferries were so busy on Friday).

When I got home, George asked if we could make doughnuts. How did he know that I've been having serious doughnut cravings? This child and I are connected in ways that I cannot fathom.

As it is his birthday tomorrow (the 25th) and he will in all probability be home with this rotten cold, I couldn't deny him. We set about making some doughnuts.
(some of the following photographs were taken by George)
Kneeding the dough.This is the dough before it starts to rise. You have to let it sit for at least an hour. A game of Mario Kart helps speed the time along.The risen dough!The dough is then cut into shapes and left to rise for another thirty minutes.Its frying time again.It took a while to fry up all those doughnuts.Some were glazed and some were rolled in sugar (George's idea to roll some in sugar).The proof of the pudding is in the eating. We sure have a lot of doughnuts in the house. I sampled a few of the doughnut holes, but I'm looking forward to tomorrow and having one with a cup of freshly brewed coffee.

No comments: