Saturday, July 28, 2007

45 (gulp!)

I got a wonderful birthday present today. My mother phoned me!

My mother was the recipient of a cochlear implant earlier this year. Her blog has been documenting the progress she is making as her brain gets used to processing sounds.

She has been using the phone for short conversations for a short while now. It was such a treat to be able to speak to her on the phone. We haven't had a phone conversation without a TTD machine or a relay service since about 1981. Even then, those last conversations were limited.

So today's conversation was a real treat. It's nice to be able to hear her voice and more importantly, have her hear my voice!

I also received a great gift from The Man of the Place and George. They have given me a voucher for a Shark Dive!!! The Blue Reef Aquarium in Tynemouth offers dives in their big tank to divers. The only catch is that you have to help do a bit of cleaning while you're in there. No problem. I can clean stuff. I clean algae off my own aquarium glass all the time. They've got some reef sharks in there and a big nurse shark too. I won't be in there alone either. Health and Safety requires that there be more than one diver in the big tank. Really, I'll be just fine. The most dangerous thing in that tank will be me and a lion fish. Lion fish spines are quite poisonous, so I won't be grabbing it.

When I told my neighbour Myra about my gift, she was worried that Henry and George were trying to get me killed. I'm sure that this is not the case. I really can't wait to get in there!
Other than that, it's been a normal weekend day. The Man of the Place finished wallpapering our old bathroom (it really needed it - the old wallpaper was curling off the walls) and I went into Carlisle and rented a carpet cleaner. Woo Hoo! We sure know how to have a hot time 'round here!

No comments: