Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Skunk Anniversary

The Man of the Place and I were both on camping holidays in August 1991 when we met at the Grand Canyon. He had just arrived at The Canyon and I had been there a couple of days. He just arrived that morning on the bus from Flagstaff and asked where he could find the office for camp sites. I just put my sister Kate on that same bus going back to Flagstaff where she lived and went to college. I was on the way back to the camp sites, I said that he should follow me and I'd show him the office.

To make a long story short, we hit it off right away. We kept bumping into each other that day.

The next evening I invited him over for dinner. He was backpacking and only had a bare minimum of supplies and I drove to Arizona. That meant that I had a camp stove, a big cooler for food, etc. That night after dinner we walked down to the edge of the Canyon. It was very romantic.

While we were sitting on a big rock admiring the canyon filled with moonlight, a skunk waddled in front of us. Henry had never seen a skunk before and was full of excitement and questions. I whispered that yes, it would spray us if it felt threatened and we should just sit still. The skunk ambled off without incident.

11 months later we were married.

4 comments:

Joe said...

Awww! Happy Anniversary!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Love means never having to say "you stink".

big sal

Anonymous said...

'tis your anniversary! a happy story of love triumphant. (but how did he follow you if you were driving and he was afoot??) there's clearly more to this than meets the eye.

i just remember what fun you and the boys had planning and preparing for that trip...the dreaming over brochures and maps, the new hiking boots for the boys, the auto repairs....

SkippyMom said...

What a GREAT story...how romantic.
Uh...happy anniversary? Even tho' I am reading your archives months later?

Too cute!

Hugs