Sunday, August 27, 2006

National smells?

All this week I have been getting up a little bit earlier to see to young Florent's lunch. One morning, I thought as I was up I'd warm through some croissant and pains au chocolat in the oven (please don't ever put these things in the microwave) . When George got up for school and had his morning hug, he said, "You smell like France" and gave me a lovely smile.

Then later on in the week, I was popping some popcorn and Henry said that it smelled of certain shops in the US. I don't know what sort of shop he is talking about, but you will rarely get a whiff of freshly popped popcorn, the ultimate movie goer's smell, here in the UK. You will however get a whiff of popcorn here at Whitelees. I love the stuff.

This has led me to the question; Do nations have a defining smell? answers on a postcard please

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

To me, home is the sweet scent of cedars. My childhood home is the salty brine of the ocean.

I think the states are just too big to have a defining national scent. It's an intereting thing to think of though...

T said...

Hmmm ... I like vanilla and petrol (but not together)

:o)

J-Funk said...

Seattle kind of smells like roses, because they are everywhere here and bloom all summer. In the winter it probably smells like rain.

I like to put Brewer's Yeast on my popcorn. My husband thinks it tastes like feet. Both my mom and dad have always put Brewer's Yeast on their popcorn (they will even take it with them to movie theaters to add to the popcorn there).