Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A church a temple and a mosque


This is a photo of the mini-bus that we had for a couple of days. With this mini-bus we had 2 drivers, a guide, an Egyptologist and an armed guard. I didn't want to mention the armed guard until we were back in the UK. My parents were worried enough by our going. That information would have sent them into orbit.

After the Luxor massacre in 1997, the Egyptian government put an armed guard in every tour bus containing western tourists. This isn't widely publicised as the government naturally doesn't want to freak tourists out. It may put people coming to Egypt to see these wonders if they know that they'll be under armed guard. In any case our guides and guards were very pleasant and helpful men.


This donkey cart with its load of melons was clippity cloping right past our hotel in the morning. The Man of the Place ran half way down the block to get this shot (what a hero!).


We visited The Hanging Church in Cairo. Doorway pictured above. A beautiful orthodox or coptic church right in the centre of the city. I was told that 20% of the Egyptian population is Christian. There was a ceremony going on while we were there so we didn't go in, but the children singing was beautiful. Lots of shiny little oil crosses on the foreheads of the children a little while later.


We got a lecture on the journey of the Holy Family in Egypt. They had been reputed to stay in the basement of the Jewish temple that we visited. I have since forgotten every word of this particular part of the tour. I really wish I took notes sometimes, but I was there as a tourist and not a journalist. I can always look it up later. So can you if you're interested.

This is a mosaic that is in the courtyard of the church. I noted the stuff for sale in the church's own bookshop and souvenir stall. I really really really wanted the glow in the dark Madonna, but I resisted. I wish I hadn't now. That aside, one of the things that I liked seeing were the children's bible story books in Arabic.

The Annunciation.

The loaves and fishes (always a crowd pleaser).

And the Nativity with the Three Wise Men on the cover.

This is the beautiful courtyard of the Coptic or Orthodox church. You can see the parishioners spilling out after the service. I was glad I wore some sleeves and a long skirt. Vicky and Emily had to cover up here and at the mosque.

Here is a shot of The Man of the Place as he ambles down an atmosphere laden alley. This alley is near the only Jewish Temple in Cairo. No cameras are allowed near it and it is heavily guarded.

Then it was on to the Citadel of Salah al-Din or as we know him Saladin, famed fighter of Richard the Lionhearted et al during the crusades.


Here is his beautiful mosque on the hill overlooking all of Cairo. It was a oasis of calm in the middle of a dirty and busy metropolis.

Here are some views from the Citadel:

The Pyramids. Just think, those pyramids pre-date this mosque. You've always been able to see them from this vantage point. I liked to imagine how the Cairo between the Citadel and the pyramids has changed over the centuries. Wars, more wars and earthquakes. Let's hope those pyramids and the Citadel stay standing as Cairo and the world keeps changing.

Cairo

Our guard, George and the Egyptologist

On to lunch on the Nile again. Woo hoo!

1 comment:

the blogger said...

I guess that was one year before we met?