Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Reasons I like the World Cup

I'm not really a football fan. That would be soccer to the US people or as Joe said, "metric football". The Man of The Place is a football fan as is the boy. In fact, they have just applied for next season's season tickets for Sunderland.

Even though I am not a big fan of the sport, I am football tolerant. This means that I can be called from another room to watch re-plays, I will be interested in the score, I know who some of the player are and most importantly I know the offside rule. I learned a lot of stuff about football that I didn't realize I knew. The information just sort of seeps in by osmosis. It means that I can do something other than look blank when a football conversation is forced upon me.

The football World Cup is on at the moment. This means that after work, The Man of The Place will be in the front room, watching a game.

The World Cup is being hosted in Germany this time around. This means that the times of the games won't be too far off for UK fans. There were many more bleary eyed fans when it was being held in Brazil.

Benefits of not being a big World Cup fan:
Traffic in town is greatly reduced during games
Can get an appointment at the salon on a Saturday (game day) AND there will be parking
You don't have to have flags flying from your car









Some folk really go over the top and are not satisfied with just wearing the shirt. In case you didn't know, only England has qualified for the World Cup. Scotland isn't in it this time, neither is Wales.

I have the rest of the house to myself during a game. This means that even at home I can be getting on with other things like weeding/watering the garden, collecting eggs from the chickens or even writing in the blog in peace.

For those who don't understand the hype, just leave the folks who are big fans be. This only comes around every four years. Its a big deal to them and it leaves the rest of the planet free for the rest of us to get on with other things.

If you are at all interested, it is worth watching the Brazil team play as their player, Ronaldinho who when not playing for his country, plays for Barcelona FC and he is the most gifted football player you may ever see. See this video clip: Ronaldinho

1 comment:

Peggy said...

? I guess ?