Tuesday, June 06, 2006

I AM a lazy gardener!

I just thought I'd put a rumour to rest. I have been accused of being an active gardener. Not so! I have only chosen to show the best bits and draw a veil over the stuff that should be finished off. Here is the gravel path in the front of the house. Not only does it look nothing like a gravel path, it has a picnic table in the middle of it. The picnic table should, be somewhere else. I just haven't moved it yet. I have sprayed the weeds, which is why they're dead. I just haven't pulled them out of the gravel just yet. Bottom right of the photo is the chimney pot that has yet to have its potted geranium put in it.In the back of the house is that log pile. The logs were delivered last week and still haven't been stacked yet. The thing with stacking the logs is that we can't decide where they should be stored. It would have been good to figure this out before the logs were delivered. On top of that, the grass that the logs are on really needs to be mowed. To top it all off, I have only washed half of one of the two greenhouses. I kept cutting myself on the edges of the glass trying to get it cleaned. When I got the second deep cut, I stopped. You can see exactly where I got to when I cut myself.

A side note about this last photo. You can see through the glass the Poached Egg Flower (limanathes douglasii). It marks the place where blackcurrant bushes used to grow. We couldn't move for blackcurrant bushes when we first moved here. We had four behind the greenhouse and about 30 bushes in the front (where the lawn is now). The reason the flowers are there is that I had read in a book on companion planting that the lovely Poached Egg Flower was good for attacting hover fly which would be beneficial to the blackcurrant bushes, eating aphids and such like. The bushes are gone, but the flowers still self-seed. I leave them as I think they're pretty.

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Thanks for your comments Saz! I tried to find your blog as I am always nosy about other people's gardens and I couldn't find you. Isn't Mort great?