Thursday, May 04, 2006

Spring allergies

When everything wakes up in the spring. Things start getting down to some serious procreation.(remember those frogs and toads?) Plants too. This makes for an abundance of pollen. A lot of people are allergic to ragweed. I've never been bothered by it. Not only is it not here in Scotland, it also seems to be a late summer weed. I get my sneezes in the spring. Trees and grasses mostly.

It got so bad a couple of years ago that I had to take some time off work because my eyes were streaming so bad it wasn't safe to drive. I've taken clarityn, neo-clarityn, and all the anti-histamines known to modern pharmaceuticals. Some make me drowsy, others do NOTHING.

It seems that I have found something that works. Flixonase. Squirt it up my nose first thing in the morning and in about a week, I find I am sneezing less. If I start early enough in the hayfever season I can pretend that I'm not allergic to anything.

If they could find something to cure my allergy to Brazil nuts, then I wouldn't have to pick through every single box of assorted chocolates I'm ever likely to be given. I can eat all nuts with impunity except for Brazils. Thankfully they're easy to spot, being so huge and all. My dad is the same way with hazelnuts. That's a shame for him because so many things, especially in Europe contain hazelnuts. Breakfast cereal, a large proportion of the chocolates and anything from a patisserie.

I planted out the sole pumpkin plant this afternoon. I have also purchased broccoli plants and cabbage plants. They'll go in soon. Neat little rows of brassicas. No brussel sprouts though. Nobody will eat them in the house, so no point in knocking myself out.

1 comment:

Miss Scarlet said...

I totally feel your pain. I sometimes feel like I have the worst allergies EVER! My eyes are soooo itchy today:(