Monday, May 29, 2006

Another use for those logs


This is the photo of the logs that our pal Michael delivered yesterday. It turns out that Michael and I are only three days apart in age!

It has stopped raining but it is very cold. I was outside just now talking to our neighbour and shivering. Yes, before you ask, I had my jacket on. Walking back to the house, I noted that all this wood is actually, firewood. What is the primary function of firewood? It's for burning. Now next to a nice fire.

Note that behind the pile of logs (mostly beech) is the vegetable patch. The beans went out yesterday and you can just see them next to their cane frames. The strawberries have been netted too. Corn still to go in. Those plants will keep until the next weekend.

It is very odd for an Iowa girl to have to start the corn in the greenhouse. The first year here at Whitelees, I tried sewing directly in the soil. It was ok. I had luck with the weather that year. I tried sewing the corn in the big plastic tunnel that we have last summer, but it turns out that there wasn't enough sun and the corn was stunted and gave us NO corn. The plastic was too opaque.

This year I am trying to extend the growing season by starting the plants in the greenhouse and transplanting them out when warm enough. Today is NOT warm enough.

Perhaps next year I will try corn in the little greenhouse, but that's where I grow my tomatoes. One year, I'll grow the tomatoes in the bigger greenhouse and the corn in the smaller greenhouse because it has a gravel floor. The larger greenhouse has a concrete floor. I'm thinking the gravel in the smaller greenhouse can be moved to one side for one growing season.

For those of you thinking about turning on the air conditioning, just shut up. It's freezing here and I envy you.

I know that I could also warm up by getting those logs shifted, but it's 7:50 pm and I'm not going to do it now. I'll get it done later on. Tomorrow if the rain stays away.

No comments: