Sunday, May 14, 2006

Allotments

In large towns and cities a lot of people don't have the outdoor space to grow their own vegetables or even a flower or two. Northern allotments I've seen are different to allotments in the south I know as poultry is allowed. In the UK most local governments or councils have an allotment scheme. They rent out garden space to people who come in and apply for it. Sometimes if there is lots of demand, you get put on a waiting list and will get one if a current allotment holder gives it up or dies. Other councils always have a space or two available.

The Man of the Place used to have an allotment years ago when he lived down south. He was quite a garden head back then and would turn everything into compost. It was during this time that he also made homemade wine. I'm told that some of it wasn't too bad but there isn't an old bottle of his efforts to be found anywhere.

The reason I am mentioning allotments is that I find that allotments and allotment holders can harbour a core of dedicated and knowledgeable gardeners. You get gardeners clumped together like that in a municipal allotment site and they'll form groups and compete against each other for largest vegetable, most peas in a pod, prettiest chrysanthemum, earliest potato harvest etc. . . Their efforts are inspirational.

My sister accused me of being active in my garden. Compared to these guys, I'm barely keeping a garden at all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog via a lottie blog-enjoying reading it and have added it to my favourites!
I have an allotment in Teignmouth/Devon which alas is badly infested with bindweed-I did cover it almost 90% with heavy duty black plastic but as the blessed bindweed has survived I'm now trying to dig it out-however I fear I shall have to use weedkiller after all!!!