Thursday, July 02, 2020

Cucumbers are Already Here!

male flowers have been removed
This is something I didn't know until a few years ago.  Cucumber plants have two sorts of flowers on the vine.  Male flowers and female flowers.

Removing the male flowers before they open and start pollinating everything is important.  If cucumbers get pollinated, they become bitter and unpleasant to eat.
baby cucumbers
It is easy to spot which flowers are male flowers early on.  They don't have a small cucumber behind the flower. 

I did a bit of cleaning out in the polytunnel today.  When the door was opened it was like going into a sauna.  LOTS of hot and very humid air in there!

When I cleared away some of the super slug infested lettuce, I found these little beauties! 
The first cucumbers!   I predict there is some pickle making in my future!
This is a jar I made last year.  They're still tasty!


1 comment:

tom said...

This is what quarantine is for! Happy eating!