Friday, May 29, 2020

Spinach experiment

I have an old pack of spinach seeds.  The expiration was 2018.  Two years out.  I don't know what the germination rate will be.  Some seeds can live for decades - other seeds only barely hang on until the next season.

The old seeds are getting planted. There is a good fistful of seeds so  I will plant all of them.  I will start out with two test rows in the polytunnel.

I also have some new spinach seeds.  I ordered them from Amazon and they arrived in a few days  from China!   There will be two rows of these seeds too.

Well well well. . . Chinese spinach.
The warning on the packet is formidable!  Do not open this can/package/container or plant the seeds until you have read and understood the NOTICE TO PURCHASER.  This seed is intended for planting by professional growers who are familiar with this variety *text obscured by photo* under their field conditions.    Cripes!  I hope I'm up to the challenge!


When comparing the appearance of the seeds, the newer seeds are greener.   I don't know what the variety is of this new seed.


The old spinach seed from a shopping trip to Aldi and is obviously variety Matador.  I hope it germinates and is happy here.

I've planted two short rows of each in our big plastic tunnel and watered them well.  I will be interested to see how each variety does.  It is not fair to compare germination rates as the European seed is old. It will be fun to note the physical differences.  I expect the taste will be identical.

I will plant the rest of the seeds outside later on today.  I will plant all the spinach seed.  No sense in keeping it.  I love spinach and will eat every scrap that is edible.

If one variety does particularly well, I will let a plant or two bolt at the end of the season and harvest the seed for next year.
dead lupin seedlings
On another note, it is vital to check and water everything in a greenhouse every single day.  Sometimes you should water twice a day if the weather is particularly warm.   This poor tray of lupin seedlings is now dead.  It sure didn't take long to go from healthy and growing to crispy and dead. I am upset with myself for being so careless.  I had great plans for those plants.  I have a few seeds left in the packet so . . . do over.

No comments: