Saturday, March 21, 2020

Back to Nature

On Thursday getting up at before dawn, I drove out to Langholm Moor to see some Black Grouse.

Historically the lek is always in the same place. 

It was -4 C when I left home and we were enjoying a rare non-rainy period. There was frost on the ground.

When I arrived it was dark.  I could hear the grouse but I couldn't see them.  I had to wait for the sun to come up.


They are notoriously skittish so I turned the radio off and rolled the car window down before I even got to the good spot.  When I got there, I turned the car off and sat there in the dark.  It made me smile to hear their bubbly little calls in the dark.

It was the first day of spring and the sun seemed to be taking its sweet time breaking over the hill. While I waited I enjoyed seeing the last of the moon.

Once the sun was up, I could see the dark shapes zipping around in the grass.

It was fun watching them doing their grousey things.  Sitting there by myself with no radio was lovely. Such a nice respite from the constant worry and drama of the increasing Corvid-19 virus news.


I watched two males facing off for ages.  Just when I was thinking about packing up and heading home, it all kicked off and they started fighting. Sneaky peek of my boot.

Meadow Pippit
In addition to the Black grouse there were loads of Skylarks, Meadow Pippits and a lovely female Stone Chat.
female Stonechat
It was a lovely start to the season.  I fear it is going to be worse before it is better.

No comments: