Thursday, February 07, 2008

Lent

As of yesterday, we are now in the season of Lent.

For the first part of the week, I was stuck in a big hotel in Stratford-on-Avon. Yes, THAT Stratford-on-Avon. In fact, our hotel was directly across the road from the Royal Shakespeare Company. I don't mind being away from home for work, but it would be so much nicer if the conference rooms had natural daylight. After three days, I felt like I had been stuck in a cave (a well appointed cave with nice food). The sunlight made me blink on my way to the car on Wednesday afternoon.

I always think I should consider this carefully and deprive myself of something that will help me to reflect more deeply and prepare better for Easter. Failing that, I have decided that this year I'm turning down all junk for the entire 40 days. That means no crisps (potato chips), no cookies or biscuits and no candy. Perhaps the fact that God Will Know if I stray from this self-imposed diet.

Anybody else observing Lent this year? What are you giving up?

No comments: