Friday, August 17, 2007

Summer at Grandma's

My friend Deb has a lot of our old family photos. The reason she has them is a long drawn out story that I won't bore anybody with. She's not, by her own admission, very technically minded, but she did sit down one afternoon and started scanning the photos into the computer. For my birthday last month, I received a card and a disk with a lot of photos on it. I thought I'd share two of my favourites. This is me and my two sisters. From left to right: Katie, Peggy, Sally. We are obviously just getting ready to go to Sunday Mass because we're all so freshly scrubbed and have clean clothes on. I loved that dress!
There was sometimes a time gap in our family between the time that a picture was taken and the date the film made it in to get developed. This means that June 1973 might not be the correct date. I'm sure my mother will pipe in with the correct information. If the date is correct then I will be almost 11 years old. Please notice that I am not wearing my glasses. There was a point in my life where I was notorious for losing my glasses.
This is one of my favourite photos of my brother Tom. The picture was taken during the same summer that the above photo was taken. Tom is proudly displaying the first fish he ever caught. It could be a trout but it is more likely that the obviously undersized fish is a perch or sunfish.
Both photos were taken at my grandparents home in Elcho, Wisconsin. I loved it there. The summers seemed endless and there was always something to do or trouble to get into. It would be so nice to go back there now to catch a few fireflies.

No comments: