Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Ex-Patriate

I don't know if I like the term "ex-patriot" or even the shortened version ex-pat. It seems that that term implies that one is no longer willing to be patriotic about the land of their birth.

I love the US and I don't want anybody to think that I don't. I just prefer to live over here in Scotland. I still miss the US and really really miss my family and friends. From time to time, I even think about what it would be like to move back but I don't see that happening any time soon.

Today is Independence Day in the US. A time for barbeques, fireworks and sunburn. We spent a number of our 4th of July celebrations with my paternal grandmother in Elcho, Wisconsin. We'd collect jars full of fireflies and sneak beer from the unguarded back porch coolers of Grandma's welcoming house.

I have tried a small 4th of July celebration here in Scotland, but we're just so far north. This time of year it isn't dark enough until about 2am.

I hope that all you folks over in the US have a lovely time today and that your fireworks aren't rained out. Light a sparkler for me.

==================

Thanks to Ann who pointed out that it is expatriate and not ex-patriot. I have stumbled over a homonym that I didn't know about.

No comments: