Friday, February 02, 2007

Nest Box Challenge


Taking my cue from Birdchick, I've signed one of the Whitelees bird nest boxes for National Nest Box Week.


The timing couldn't have been more fortuitous. I noticed that there were two Blue Tits popping in and out of the nest box just out the north window of our bedroom. Then, on Bird Chick's blog, Border Birds she had an entry about signing garden nest boxes in to a national survey. So, I'm game!
I'll keep you guys updated too. Is it a bit early for nest building? Maybe they're just shopping for a new house.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. We get to see a bird family!

Jay said...

This will be fun. Hopefully you can get some video of the family that sets up shop there.

Anonymous said...

This is interesting! Do we get to see more photos ;)

Shammickite said...

Too early for birds nesting here in cold Canada, but they're probably already getting a bit frisky on your side of "The Pond".

Anonymous said...

That is a great program and good to know there is such a large number who participate. Look forward to hearing about the new neighbors.

Anonymous said...

I'm new to your blog and I will come visit it again. It will be fun watching the new "family". Come visit mine. I'm a new blogger. I hope I can do as well as.

Peggy said...

Susan, Jay, Claude, Ex-, Alan - I'll try to keep a regular update of our little nest box even after the big challenge has finished.

Patsy - Welcome! Please send me a link so that I can view your blog.

Jeanette said...

Gday Peggy just popped in for a visit
Love your bird house and hope we get to see the family that moves in.ill return to get update

T said...

Good luck, Peggy! We have no activity around our box as yet - but it's still very early. Blue tits usually start laying between late March and June.

Last time I checked, Scotland had 25 boxes registered and only 3 had seen any activity from blue tits - I think one of them is you judging by the map.

Map here: http://www.bto.org/nbc/results/index.htm