Friday, August 18, 2006

Trashy Stuff I Like


Ok, so he finishes his sentences with prepositions and he has seriously dodgy mullet hair, but Dog the Bounty Hunter and his super platinum, buxom wife Beth are great! They are so brassy, up front and have no sense of irony about acrylic nails so long that they impede normal finger use and the arm bands on muscular, poly-tattooed arms.

Not only does Dog revel in his lifestyle with all its accompanying sound bites, good vs evil and bravado, the series has been instrumental in illustrating to not only my youngest son, but the neighbour kids how important it is to NEVER end sentences with a preposition.

Every time Dog or one of his "posse" asks, "Where does he live at?". The kids all turn to me (we make a thing of watching together) and smile, recognising the grammatical error. Victory! The "at" is not needed at the end of the sentence. I can't tell you how it makes me cringe when anybody puts "at" on the end of their sentence.

Somebody may argue that ending a sentence with a preposition is local dialect and perfectly okay in some areas and I will concede this point if it is proven by considered study but until then, to me they will just sound thick.

When I first saw a broadcasted Dog the Bounty Hunter programme, my jaw dropped. These people are from another world! Coarse language, macho male posturing and dressing like Van Halen roadies. After further viewing I could see that they were actually kind hearted people, trying to make a living in the scary world of bail bondsmen. The hardness they show protects them from people who are violent criminals and prey on the weak.

I have come to realize that Duane "Dog" Chapman is the ultimate alpha male. Have you ever seen him with his shirt off? Glory be!

His wife, Beth is absolutely his equal. She's just as tough and manages in that testosterone soaked environment on her own terms. She is almost a Marvel comic come to life.

History tells us that Dog was on the other side of the law years ago and he now uses that to identify with people that he has to track down. He and Beth are both deeply committed to each other and their children and that shows in the way they live their lives (it is also mentioned in every single episode). I can't wait for the wedding episode to be aired here in the UK - please don't tell me I've missed it.

Other trashy stuff I like:

Gossip magazines
Asti Spumante
costume jewellry
Lynyrd Skynyrd
acrylic nails
fake tan

I have tried to convince The Man of the Place that he should try adopting Dog's style in his job as a child care social worker. It would work! I could then have free reign to be a lot blonder, get my nails done every week and mince around in short denim skirts and kitten heels. I don't know if I could carry the look off though. I always wanted to be a rock chick, but I fear that ship has sailed.

8 comments:

Peggy said...

Ya gotta have cable.

Dog the Bounty Hunter is filmed in Hawaii.

Anonymous said...

they don't even broadcast it here on the mainland....

Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a TV watcher but I know my husband has mentioned it. You make it sound wickedly delightful! I'll have to give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

We get Bounty Hunter here in New Jersey. Where do all you other folks live at?

Sal

Anonymous said...

We live at Scotland :-)

Anonymous said...

Where's Scotland at? Is that in England?

:-)

Anonymous said...

"Kitten heals"? Where'd you learn to spell at?

Peggy said...

Yo Davey, Bite me! ;-)