Saturday, August 12, 2006

Pere Lachaise Cemetery


Having been inspired by Claude and Eric, I thought I'd show you a few shots from a trip to Paris.
Paris contains what I believe to be the best cemetery in the world. I don't know how I or my surviving loved ones would manage it, but I'd love to be buried there.If I can't have it for my final resting place, I at least want this crypt with the big bronze mourning women.t Isn't that a great family crypt? I don't think it would stand out too much in the a Scottish country graveyard. The Parisians have a sense of style that is hard to better, even in death.

If I can't have a plot in Pere Lachaise Cemetery, can I at least have these shoes? They were in the Armani window on Avenue Georges V. No price was listed. I figure that if you have to ask . . .

In addition to being a beautiful spot in Paris with exquisite crypts, statues and tombstones, the company in Pere Lachaise is peerless.

Jim Morrison - Didn't get that close as we didn't want to upset the visiting children of the 60's. I am told that now The Lizard King's grave is chained off and you can't get this close anymore. The families of people buried next to him were annoyed at all the disrespect and spill over vandalism.

Edith Piaf - still terribly missed.


Sartre and Beauvior

and my ultimate fantasy dinner guest, Oscar Wilde with all the kisses on his tomb

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A great post! Even if I could afford the shoes, I wouldn't wear them! My feet can only accept comfortable shoes these days. ;)

I too, love Père Lachaise. It is incredibly huge and it is really easy to get lost. I have never seen Edith Piaf or Oscar Wilde.
To see Sartre and Beauvoir's grave, you'll have to visit the Montparnasse cemetery.
My favourite Paris cemetery is Montmartre though. Thanks for mentioning my blog :)

Run Around Paris said...

Hi -
Can I assume you're a Leo, too? Thanks for the birthday wishes!
Erin