Saturday, May 06, 2006

Saturday morning and I'm in the kitchen

I sometimes get inspired to bake. This morning is one of those times.

We are lucky enough not to have the rain that was forecast for this morning so I am waiting for the dew to dry and then I'm out to mow the lawn. In the meantime, I bought some big fat blueberries yesterday and this morning, I made blueberry muffins. It only take a minute to make the batter and pop them in the oven. I just don't "get" blueberry muffin mix. You can make much nicer muffins from scratch in the same amount of time, plus you will have the added benefit of knowing all the ingredients that go in.I am also making a chocolate raspberry pavlova. It is one of George's favourites and I said that I'd make it for him.

This is the pavlova base, still baking away in the oven. You wouldn't believe how great and chocolaty this smells. I opened the door of the oven to take this photo because the window to the oven really needs to be cleaned. I'm going to put these recipes over on my recipe blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love pavlovas! I found a recipe for the chocolate raspberry version in two places last year (Gale Gand cookbook was one, I think) and have made it three times so far. The no-fat egg white base got me first. With fresh fruit and fatfree CoolWhip, it's really good - but with whipped cream, it's out of this world.

Anonymous said...

well, i learn something new every day...i've heard of pavlovas, but that's it. never saw one till you published this photo on ur blog. my favorite dessert, before i went off sugar & other junky carbs a coupla months ago (and so far have lost 23 pounds as a result) was just plain blueberries with lime juice, lime zest, and sugar. you won't believe how good this is. i made some last night for a dinner guest, and just smelling it as i prepared it was wonderful. basically, it's a pint of blueberries, one lime juiced and zested, and sugar to taste--maybe a teaspoon or so.