Sunday, May 14, 2006

Ouch!


My poor pup was spayed on Thursday. It was required as part of her being a rescued dog, and we sure don't want any "accidents". There are plenty of entire male Border Collies in the fields next to us and I am sure that the minute Polly went into season, they'd be all over her like white on rice. Even so, it is an invasive operation for girl dogs. I've never owned a bitch before, so this is all new to me. Please be assured that even though this looks pretty bad, Polly is merely resting after a morning of mischief.

This is what she did to my basil seedlings. Note the big paws prints. She has walked through the growbag with complete abandon. I suppose I should be grateful that she didnt' dig. It will all be okay once the basil grows a bit. I've put a board across so she can't get in anymore when the door is open.

I keep four growbags in my smaller greenhouse. Two for tomatoes and then one for corriander (cilantro) and one for basil. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have fresh herbs for my kitchen. *note to self - Plant out the rosemary before it dies in that little pot!*

Incidentally, homemade pesto that is made from basil that is grown yourself is pretty great! It will give you absolute dragon breath, but if everyone eats it, you cancel each other out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, what ever happened to the "lazy gardener" bit? Sounds like you've been pretty industrious!

Sal