Friday, May 05, 2006

More stuff in the garden

It was a glorious day here in south west Scotland. Dry, warm and sunny. Tomorrow is supposed to be rain, so I thought I had better get cracking in the garden while I had the opportunity.

In the small shop in the next village, they were selling some vegetable seedlings. I bought some broccoli and cabbage seedlings. Today after work, I got them planted in. I should really mow the lawn too, but I have officially run out of desire to do it. It can wait until the next dry day.

While I was in a planting mood, I got the garden peas planted too. So, now we have two short rows of broccoli, cabbage and peas. You can see the net that I put in for the peas to climb. Polly wasn't a pest while I planted either. You can see the cardboard box I used to kneel on while I was doing all of this. Polly kept a respectful distance most of the time. She did come over at the beginning to sniff at where I was digging. It didn't seem to be too interesting so she went to go inspect the gravel. There seems to be something in there . . . Now that I have documented the planting, I will know how long it takes to grow these vegetables by counting back from the date of harvest. Gosh, aren't blogs handy!

Next in the ground will be the lettuces followed swiftly by the beans and corn. That has to wait until the 1st of June. Fear of frost you see . I bet you can't wait. Don't worry, it will be here before you know it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lettuces.....only other person i know who uses that term is a retired former college president who has a wife from switzerland. wife is a very accomplished gardener. their backyard garden is full of "lettuces"....

a course, being just a dumb slob from north dakota, i still calls it lettuce, singular and plural: i.e., one head of lettuce, 75 heads of lettuce. nobody ever told us there was a better way....

Peggy said...

From Tales of Peter Rabbit: "Peter, who was very naughty ran straight into Mr McGregor's garden and squeezed under the gate. First he hate some lettuces and some French beans . . ." Beatrix Potter is from the Lake District. The hills of that part of England can be viewed from our front windows. Perhaps the local language and odd useage is permeating deeper. . . Or I read too many childrens' books.

Anonymous said...

well, of course...beatrix potter, too. doubtless i read that to you my own self, but somehow high literacy hasn't taken hold here in the u.s. of a. (can't imagine why, can you??)

maybe i'll try it out here and there, like asking the guys in safeway if they have any fresh lettuces....

if only they spoke english.

Peggy said...

Of course you read Beatrix Potter to us. I was so thrilled when I saw my first hedgehog down in England. I squealed, "Mrs Tiggywinkle!".