Friday, May 05, 2006

Mislaid

My hens are of mixed parentage. The rooster I have is a pure breed Welsummer, but the hens are of various egg laying breeds rather than the larger broilers that are raised to eat.

I haven't trimmed the primary or flight feathers on the wings of these hens yet and I think I'm going to have to do that soon. It doesn't hurt them and it keeps them safe inside the chicken run. The reason for this is that one of the hens is flying out each morning to lay an egg somewhere other than where she is supposed to. This is where she is laying her eggs. In the cat carrier that is kept in one of the sheds. This egg is well and truly mislaid.

The hens are in high egg production at the moment. Five laying hens and five eggs a day. I think the eggs are pretty too. Such a nice brown. Way to go girls!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like you got one double yolker! maybe even triple (ever get one of those?)

Peggy said...

That particular big egg wasn't a double yolker, but I have had one recently. When I picked it up, I knew immediately that it would have two yolks. I went and bought a lottery ticket in case the double yolk egg was "a sign".