Sunday, May 28, 2006

Long Weekend

The Man of the Place and I were diving yesterday and managed to complete our Advanced Open Water Diver qualifications. (mug shots on the dive blog) It was a nice day for the two of us. We hadn't been diving together since October.

George was away with one of his friends to Blackpool for the day. This means that all three of us are advanced divers. When we get to the Red Sea, we won't have to do any training and can just play. Some of the dives that we would like to do in the Red Sea require that the divers are experienced as there will be currents and other challenges. Best to get the training out of the way first.

We rounded our day off by going to see Ladysmith Black Mambazo. I even managed to stay awake. Not that they're boring, its just that we'd been diving in cold water all day and the auditorium was dark and warm. Perfect recipe for snoozing through a concert. I've fallen asleep at some pretty good concerts over the years. Ladysmith Black Mambazo was supported by The Mahotella Queens. Both were superb and we really enjoyed the concert.

It stopped raining this afternoon. Because of the lack of rain, I got the beans planted out. I was going to have to plant them rain or shine. They really needed to be out. If it is dry tomorrow, the corn is going out too. The forecast is for rain in the afternoon. I'll have to get out early I think.

I sprayed some weeds again and fished about 3 kilos of duck weed out of the pond. I disturbed two newts and many wiggly tadpoles. The tadpoles don't have any leg buds yet, but I am sure it won't be long.

A load of firewood was delivered this evening. I suppose I'll find a good spot to store it. That will all have to be stacked before I can cut the grass.

I didn't get a chance to cut grass last weekend because of the rain. I may be able to cut it tomorrow before the next band of rain comes through. A good rule of thumb when it comes to rain and cutting the lawn is three days with no rain and I can cut it. Failing that, I do the squish test. If I can walk across the lawn without it going "squish", it is dry enough to mow.

I'll get a chance to do all these things tomorrow as I don't have to go to work. Yippee! Three day weekend.

No comments: